Monday, March 2, 2015

On the road again – finally

 

On the last day of February, we (being me and Eliot the ageing Norwich Terrier) finally hit the road. Two years ago in March of 2013, we’d made a trip south to the deserts of southern California and I’ve been wanting to return ever since.

But for some reason I’d been feeling a bit ambivalent. It didn’t help that the weather in Victoria was so lovely in February and that the weather in southern California was chilly and sometimes rainy. But the long term forecasts for March were promising more sun and warmer temperatures so I packed the van and we’re on the road again.

We took the afternoon ferry which leaves at 4 pm. We were the last vehicle off the Coho when it arrived in Port Angeles, Washington and I was asked only one question by the guy from border control. I assumed that dinner was waiting for him at home.

By 7 pm we’d found a campsite at a state park south of Port Townsend. It was very cold overnight and I wondered whether I’d made a mistake not taking the warmer sleeping bag. There was frost on the grass the next morning.

We made good time down Hwy 101 and arrived at Nehalem State Park near Manzanita, Oregon with time to sit around and have a beer which I’d purchased along the way.

P1250296

After some refreshment Eliot and I wandered down to the beach which was not very inviting because of a strong wind and a threat of rain.

 

 

 

 

 

This morning (Monday) we headed further down the coast. I always like to stop at Pacific City for coffee even though it’s off Hwy 101 and a bit of a detour. It is a spectacular setting and the coffee at ‘Stimulation’ is very good. So I got coffee and Eliot and I wandered the beach watching the surf and the surfers for a bit.

P1250303

Then back to Hwy 101 and points further south.

We stopped briefly at Depoe Bay. It’s a tiny town and its main street on Hwy 101 is mostly tourist type shops. And if you’re gluten sensitive there’s even this.

P1250310

On the other side of the street is this view. I can’t imagine there’s anywhere else in Oregon where you can get this close to the crashing surf without leaving the sidewalk.

P1250307

We’ve stopped tonight at Cape Blanco State Park. It’s six miles down a country road just north of Port Orford, Oregon. The weather has been iffy all day and the sky still looks a bit ominous. But there’s electricity at our campsite for our little electric heater and I look forward to a hot shower in the morning having not had one since leaving Victoria.

EPL51166

Cape Blanco Lighthouse. Oldest standing lighthouse on the Oregon coast built in 1870.

EPL51169

Looking south from Cape Blanco

EPL51171

Just about sunset. Must be time for a beer.

P1250312

Near the washroom at Cape Blanco State Park I came across this convenience from an earlier time in our civilization. The parks department did not seem to be treating it as some long ago relic worthy of preservation for future generations. There was no interpretive sign explaining its long ago use to younger visitors to the park. I did not check to see if it is still working but, if so, it would come in handy as Cape Blanco has no cell phone service nor is wi-fi provided for visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment